Point Pinos Lighthouse
 
         
 
lantern roomFast Facts

reinactment of lamp lightingFast Facts

  • First lit: February 1, 1855
  • Range: visible up to 17 nautical miles out to sea (~19.6 statute miles)
  • First lighthouse keeper: Charles Layton, 1853–55*
  • Number of keepers: 12, including two female keepers (Charlotte Layton and Emily Fish)
  • Latitude / longitude: 36.633400° North, -121.933680° West
  • Brightness: 50,000 candlepower
  • Elevation: 55 feet above sea level
  • Elevation of the light: 89 feet
  • Characteristic: Oc W 4s (white light 3 secs on/1 sec off)
  • Fog signal: 1925 - 1993
  • Automated: 1975 and maintained by Coast Guard Aids to Navigation Team

*Although the lighthouse wasn't completed until 1855, Charles Layton was employed by the US Lighthouse Service to oversee its construction beginning in 1853.

 

 
80 Asilomar Avenue, Pacific Grove, CA 93950        info@pointpinoslighthouse.org